Graydon is here! Quick stats 7lbs. 5oz., 20", 4/28/09, 8:07 pm.
The Story
4:00AM 4/28/09
I awoke to a contraction but brushed it off and went back to sleep.
4:10AM Woke up and felt a warm trickle unlike I'd ever felt. Ran to bathroom, yelled for Mike. " I think my water broke."
4:30AM Mike and I sit at the table eating cereal discussing if we are in labor and the next step. I stood up to put my bowl in the sink and woosh, splash my water breaks and hits the floor like in a movie. There is no doubt now so I call the OB on call, she tells us to eat, shower and come in. We call our doula Mari, my mom and the sub line for work.
We pick up mom and head to Christiana Hospital, Mari will meet us there. Contractions have started by now and are 5-8 minutes apart and only 30seconds long. These felt like menstrual cramps. All the while sitting on a beach towel to keep from ruining the car seat.
At the hospital we first were registered and then sat in triage for what seemed like forever. The contractions began to get stronger and we could watch them and listen to Graydon's heartbeat on a monitor. By this point I am starving and laying flat in bed which made contractions more uncomfortable.
6:30Am Finally moved to a labor room we use all the techniques we'd learned. Visualization and standing and leaning over the bed or a ball worked best for me. As they became more intense I stuck with what was working. Slowly we began to dilate.
My father was stuck at a hearing and were all hoping he would arrive before the birth.
12PM Almost 6 cm dilated baby had moved into pelvis to about -1, 0 station. Doctor predicts baby will arrive by 4pm.
2:00PM Contractions are right on top of each other no break, 7 cm dilated and baby has stopped at about 0, +1. I am shaky, exhausted, hungry, and discouraged. My team does all they can to encourage and help. But when the doctor comes in I am the one to bring up what I had wanted to avoid, an epidural. My team tries to dissuade me but I just knew inside it was needed.
3:00PM Epidural is put in and soon I am able to again focus, breathe and ride the waves of contractions. Now they feel like strong pressure. The negative is I am stuck on my back.
4:00PM The epidural did not slow the contractions, luckily and with the doctor's help I am fully dilated and were are given permission to push. At first pushing seems frustrating but then our doula Mari counts through them having me push for 5 then rest and repeat. The baby is still at 0 +1 station and we start pushing 10 rest 1. This is exhausting, we all watch in the mirror waiting but only they can see some dark hair on a tiny portion of his head with the doctor's help. After an hour the doctor suggests trying a bit of pitocin to help the uterus push him further. Tired I agree but we soon realize that even though this makes the contractions longer he is still not progressing.
6:30PM After pushing for 2 and half hours, I tell the doctor, I don't know how much longer I can push, I am beyond exhausted. She says they don't let patients go more than 3 hours. I bring up what is seeming inevitable 14 hours in, a c-section.
7:00PM Plans are made for the c-section and unfortunately the epidural seems to be wearing off, so we are still pushing. The anesthesiologist tries to push more through the epidural but it fails again and again to work. The epidural is removed, replaced and a spinal is performed as I am contracting.
7:45PM after much waiting, I feel relief and Mike and I say goodbye to Mom and Mari and prepare for surgery. As the surgery begins I am scared but feel peace, I pray repeatedly, "The Lord is my shepherd whom shall I fear."
8:07 PM I am told he is born! Mike takes pictures and rushes with the doctor to where he'll be cleaned off. Graydon is very quiet but alert. Since he is quiet I begin to get upset and the anesthesiologist sits with me and talks me through whats happening. Finally Graydon lets out a short wail and pees on the nurse! He is given an apgar score of 7 then 9. While Graydon is being cleaned up Mike brings the camera and shows me digital pictures of him. He is weighed and measured and then given to Mike.
The most beautiful creature I have ever seen and well worth a day of intense work!

No comments:
Post a Comment